What are SiO2 Ultra Thin Coatings?
SiO2 International, offers coatings of pure, safe, quartz glass or silicon dioxide (Si02). Silicon dioxide is the most abundant mineral on earth and the chief ingredient in glass. It is also found in many foods, water and beer. When applied, the layer is very thin and clear, and it is for this reason it has the informal name of Liquid Glass.
Is silicon dioxide safe?
The FDA states that it is safe and can be added to the food you eat.
What makes SiO2 Technology different from other surface protectors?
SiO2 Technology is safe to use in all environments and the same technology wins environmental awards overseas. When viewed under a microscope, our coatings appear as a continual film (a polymerized layer) of glass, unlike other nanotech surface technologies that contain engineered particles of matter (nanoparticles). SiO2 Ultra Thin Coatings contain no chemicals or toxins so special safety equipment is unnecessary for application. Our products offer a safer alternative to traditional surface products and this is especially true in the industrial sector.
How are SiO2 coatings applied?
Simply clean the surface and wipe, dip or spray it on. We consult with the client for the best application process. On heavily soiled surfaces, clean the surface thoroughly by utilizing traditional cleaning agents and follow with wiping with a solvent like methanol. Once it is established the surface is free of any contaminants, then apply the appropriate SiO2 product using the package directions or Tech sheet.
What happens when SiO2 coatings are applied?
Our coatings are imperceptible but changes will soon occur to the treated surface. Drops of water will roll around like a ball bearing on fabric. Stains will not permeate stone. Stainless steel will become fingerprint resistant and keep its shiny appearance – even in public areas. The glass on cellular phones will become scratch resistant. All surfaces will stop the growth of bacteria. For additional benefits, see Natural Attributes Found in Many of Our Coatings.
How soon after applying SiO2 Ultra Thin Coating’s can I use the surface?
Light use may resume soon after application, about 5 minutes after the product dries. Water based applications need approximately 12 hours to fully cure. Ethanol based products need 8 hours to become fully established for regular use.
Can SiO2 Technology be used outdoors?
Yes. Our products will withstand extreme temperature fluctuations and are flexible up to 200% but please refer to our Tech sheets for specifics.
How does SiO2 Liquid Glass fight bacteria and microbes?
Once applied, our technology becomes a durable coating that fights bacteria through ionic exchange. This means that the surface will not support bacterial growth. We also provide anti-bacterial variants with all the same attributes as our regular treatments but will eliminate MRSA, e-coli, and salmonella bacteria, among others, within minutes. Our products fight bacteria for the life of the treatment, unlike older technologies that use toxic additives that are short-lived and expensive. In most instances, maximum surface sanitation can be maintained by washing with water only. The coatings unique attributes benefit nurseries, hospitals, gyms, schools, restaurants, and public transit systems and is utilized on food preparation areas, conveyor belts, cash registers, bathrooms, and other shared surface areas touched by many people.
Are SiO2 products safe to handle?
Yes. It is very safe to the skin. However, as a precautionary measure, we recommend wearing gloves whenever you use our products as the ethanol in some of our products may be drying to the skin.
Are SiO2 coatings considered related to nanotechnology?
No. All of our cured layers fall outside the nanoscale, but if necessary, we can formulate a coating within what is considered nanotechnology. (See Custom Formulations). In technical terms nanotechnology is defined under “ultra thin layers” as a coating that measures less than a 100 nanometers thick.
How does SiO2 Ultra Thin Layer’s benefit the environment?
In most instances, treated surfaces need only be cleaned with water. Treated surfaces are cleaner using water than cleaning duplicate surfaces with bleach or other such solutions. This eliminates the need for POPs (persistent organic pollutants) found in detergents and conventional cleaners that are flushed into water tables or sent to landfill sites. Because SiO2 coatings are inert, they will not harm the environment in any way. These are some of the biggest reasons that this technology wins environmental awards year after year.
Will using SiO2 Technology save me money?
Yes. When you treat a surface with our technology, in most instances the surface needs only to be cleaned with water. North American companies allocate large budgets for cleaning solutions and the average household spends hundreds of dollars on cleaning products each year. Most of these can be eliminated with the security that your surfaces will be cleaner without them.
Can the treatments be reapplied?
Yes. Simply follow the directions used in the first application. Ensure the surface is clean, dry, and free from any contaminants or cleaning residues. Read the label. Apply the new layer over the original one.
Is SiO2 Liquid Glass damaged by strong acids or alkaline?
No. Another unique attribute of this product is that it can withstand a broad range of chemical ph values. This is one of the many reasons Si02 Liquid Glass is used by major tile companies as a sealant for natural stone and ceramic tile. Many traditional stone sealants will allow staining if spills are not immediately removed but our products protect and extend the life of tile surfaces by prohibiting stains and the penetration of unwanted substances.
How long does SiO2 Liquid Glass last on surfaces?
In certain environments, our coatings may last in the 10’s of years. We now offer warranties of 2 years.
Where can I get a MSDS on a SiO2 product?
To get Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) and Tech sheets on SiO2 products, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.